Wood Bar Tops
- Typical home and commercial bar height is 42-inches from the floor to the bar surface. Bar stool average height is 30-inches.
- A section of the bar should be 30″ above the finished floor to accommodate wheelchairs if desired. Back bar tops are generally the same height as the front bar but can vary.
- Home bar tops are usually between 12- to 16-inches wide. Commercial bar tops vary from 20- to 28-inches in width, including a drink rail (or trough) on the server side of the bar. Drink rails are typically 3/4-inch deep by 4-inches wide.
- The minimum bar top thickness is 1 3/4-inches utilizing a flat grain wood. Increased thicknesses are available using a built-up assembly or other construction styles, such as edge grain.
- The front overhang for the patron side of the bar is typically 6- to 12-inches if you intend to have bar stools. For a standing-only bar, 6- or 9-inch overhangs are comfortable.
- Allow 22- to 24-inches of space per person.
Chicago Bar Rail
All bar rail is hand-crafted in any of our stock species and can be stained and finished upon request to match existing decor. Mitered and radial corners are available to accommodate any potential design. Our Chicago Bar Rail is 3 1/8″ total height and 5 3/16″ deep. Once attached to the bar top, the profile rises 1 5/8″ above the bar top. Below are several examples of our bar rail. You can also view a PDF rendering of the bar rail profile.